Friday, June 27, 2008

KNITTING PETER OR KNITTING NANCY

My latest spool knitter find is
this Knitting Nancy.


Inside the box.

Those who have been a regular follower
of my spoolknitter blog will know that
I have found that this style of spool knitter
below is called a "Strick-Peter"
(1932 - German name - by
J.W. Spear & Sons)
This information is found in the
book - Games We Play -
History of J.W. Spear & Sons.
The English name is Knitting Peter.

Of the 'Spears' company in England, these
are more commonly found.
According to German friends, these
are quite rare to Germany.
While the Knitting Nancy (female form and
called a 'Strickliesel' by 'Spears' Germany)
had continued
to be made in Germany,
the 'Spears' company in England changed it
to the male form and kept the Knitting
Nancy name!


Above shows a major change to the
Knitting Peter.

While the name Knitting Nancy is an
actual name for a toy, it has become the
general term (used by
many in the English speaking
countries) for the spool knitter.



2 comments:

macati said...

I like your researches!!!!

crazyhaberdasher said...

Thanks! I hope that I haven't confused everyone!!!