Saturday, January 12, 2008

For Lively Youngsters!

These pages are taken from an old 1945 children's
activity book called - Leisure Things for Lively Youngsters

The reason for showing these pages is the references in the text
calling this activity - french knitting, rat-tail knitting, or
"Dolly down the reel", which according to the writer,
is what this knitting is 'frequently' called - this is
the first time I have heard this and this book
is an Australian publication!




There will be newly painted spool knitters
in the next post.



2 comments:

Kim said...

I enjoy your site so much! I've been collecting for about a year. Your hand painted spools are great. I live in the United States and was wondering if you knew where I could purchase the animal spools you show from Australia. I'd love to order them.

Kim

crazyhaberdasher said...

Hello Kim!
Lovely to hear from you. Thankyou for your very kind comments re my blog and spool knitters.
If you try Ebay there are currently two available (giraffe and frog) as "buy it nows" under knitting dolly.