Wednesday, December 12, 2007

SPEAR'S HISTORY BOOK

I received an interesting book today from Francis Spear.
Called "Games We Play", it tells of the history of J. W. Spear
& Sons - the Spear's Games Empire, and most importantly
to me, the makers of the fabulous Spear's Knitting Nancy.

Above, is the cover of the book and below, is part of the
marvellous artwork on the cover showing the Knitting Nancy.



I made a fabulous discovery too - what I have been referring to as
"Knitting Neville" (my nickname), is in fact a "Peter" or Strick-Peter
(Knitting Peter). I put to Francis Spear the query that perhaps the
"Peter" was designed to encourage boys to take up the craft, and
Francis agreed.



The Knitting Nancy is just a very small part of the story.

If you would like to know more, click here for the website and
you can also order a book for yourself. Don't delay as supplies
are limited.




No comments: